Friday, October 31, 2008

Friday fess-up...

Back on track.....ish...

I'm down 1 lb this week. Ho hum.

On to more exciting news (at least for me). I took Eli in to the Newborn Follow-up Clinic at UAB today. This clinic specializes in doing developmental assessments for premature and low birth weight babies. I'm happy to report that Eli is in the 90th percentile for motor skills development for his preemie-adjusted age (25th percentile for his "real" age)! They all seemed really surprised at how well he's doing. This is a huge relief for me because I have been freaked out by the possibility of Eli having developmental delays, autism, etc. (sometimes the internet is your worst enemy, ya know?). At least for now, these worries are gone.

They were also completely shocked that he made the transition to nursing after being bottle fed for so long. The dietician that we met with had worked at this clinic for 10 years and said that she could count on two hands the number of families that she's worked with who were successful in doing this. Big pat on the back for me! Or not. It was an answer to much, much prayer! Thank you Lord! I have decided, however, to go ahead and start him on rice cereal next week. He only gained one pound last month and hasn't been too satisfied after his feedings (I've had to start supplementing with formula some to fill up his little belly). The doctor thinks it's probably time to start him on cereals and baby foods (in addition to nursing), so we'll give it a try!

So there's the Eli update. I personally think that's much more exciting than my weight confession :). I hope everyone has a great weekend!

2 comments:

Greta said...

Excellent news! (And I second what the docs say :), Eli is doing awesome AND definitely pat on the back to you for sticking with getting him to nurse!!!)

Hope he takes right to the cereal and baby food!

Gina said...

Yay for Eli and Lindsay. :) :)